Power struggles with small beings are exhausting. In the end, regardless of if you get your way or your small being gets his/her way, no one wins. All beings feel worn out from the process. So, here is a secret: treat power struggles like a snow globe. The moment you realize you are in a power struggle, find a way to shake it up!
Here are my top 5 favorite ways to shake up a power struggle:
1. Stop the fighting for a moment to declare loudly, "I'm AMAZING". Invite your small being try it also.
2. Get a drink of water. Let's face it, you probably really need one, as does your small being.
3. Sit down, close your eyes and take 10 deep breathes.
4. Take a 2 minute dance break. If you don't have access to music at the moment, it also becomes a singing break.
5. Do a handstand, downward facing dog or 5 jumping jacks. Doing a handstand is my favorite and truth be told, I need a wall. For some of you it may not be possible to get upside down. Find a way to physically move your body.
Once you have shifted the actions in the room from fighting to one of these exciting breaks, things will feel different. You and your small being will have more capacity to find a common ground and move past the fighting. You can go back complete to the task that needed to be done. You can let it go and move on to something else. That choice is up to you-make it thoughtfully!
Try the different breaks and decide for yourself which one works best for you and your small beings. Let me know, I love to hear from you! If you make up your own power struggle break actions, tell me what they are by leaving a comment below the blog post on my website or emailing me directly.
Important distinction: There is a difference between a power struggle and challenging behavior that arises when you are being consistent. You need to keep practicing meaning what you say and saying what you mean. You need to do your best to be consistent. Wondering what the difference is between a power struggle and challenges to being consistent? Then make sure to check out my blog next week on just that difference!